May 3, 2021
In this letter Mayor Jim Watson urges CNL and the CNSC to take action on Ottawa’s concerns about the giant radioactive waste mound (NSDF) proposed for Chalk River and the entombment of a nuclear reactor beside the Ottawa River at Rolphton.
Specifically the letter and the resolution on which it is based calls on CNL/CNSC to:
- stop current and future import or transfer of radioactive waste to Chalk River from other provinces
- increase safeguards to protect the Ottawa River
- prevent precipitation from entering the Chalk River Mound (NSDF)
- provide timely environmental monitoring data
- commit to prompt notification of spills/releases