May 7, 2021
May 3, 2021
In this letter Mayor Jim Watson urges CNL and the CNSC to take action on Ottawa’s concerns about the giant radioactive waste mound (NSDF) proposed for Chalk River and the entombment of a nuclear reactor beside the Ottawa River at Rolphton.
Specifically the letter and the resolution on which it is based calls on CNL/CNSC to:
- stop current and future import or transfer of radioactive waste to Chalk River from other provinces
- increase safeguards to protect the Ottawa River
- prevent precipitation from entering the Chalk River Mound (NSDF)
- provide timely environmental monitoring data
- commit to prompt notification of spills/releases
The City of Ottawa is requesting a regional assessment of radioactive waste disposal projects in the Ottawa Valley under Canada’s new Impact Assessment Act. This review, if undertaken as requested, would address cumulative impacts of radioactive waste projects planned for the Ottawa Valley. It would be conducted by a committee appointed for the task by the Minister of Environment and Climate Change or by the Impact Assessment Agency.